Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ripple Effects of a Life

With each decade of a life come new considerations. This morning a reflective question in my current Bible study in Ruth (which has been absolutely awesome, for sure!) gave me pause. As I began to list my thoughts and feelings about my own legacy, the fact that it kept growing and growing and growing just astounded me. Who knew? I certainly had never given it this kind of thought before. Oh, I've prayed about leaving a legacy that honored the LORD....why else would I be here? My lifelong prayer and focus has been to bring honor to His Name, Glory to His existence, and to be useful to Him to establish and develop the Kingdom of GOD.

And then I saw it....the ripple effects that a life has on all it touches. We never know. We never know. Like the motion the water takes on as the wind or even a slight breeze touches it. The ripples that emit from a bird landing or a fish surfacing for air. The thrust from a boat cutting through the body of the water. And then there is the pebble effect. It is perhaps my favorite. Pebbles have to be tossed in by someone....me, for example. I liken the pebble effect to those times throughout normal daily activities we smile at a person, we address someone with a greeting or carry on an uplifting conversation with a stranger. We never know the actual effect it has on their life. Given that the majority of my conversations with strangers these days are held in a hospital, I can only imagine what chaos their lives may be in. The kindness of strangers is never to be taken lightly. I know the effect that a smiling face, a kind word, a gentle touch has on me .... just in passing ... random acts of kindness.......

So, my commitment to always carry light and love, no matter in what dose, everywhere I go is not a light (no pun intended) thing. It has the potential for eternal effects. Ripple effects........
of a life.

Just call me GOD's little pebble.

Sharoni
...giving voice to those with none....

No comments:

Post a Comment