Sunday, August 2, 2009

Celebration and Joy in Darkness

I tried to post this yesterday but there was simply too much interference. I like to get things out as they are fresh. I mean, who likes stale bread, really, except maybe ducks. Moving forward......
Over the past few years I have been more than a little surrounded by grieving . . . true, unsullied, honest grieving. There have been more funerals attended than I ever imagined as I grew up that I would. Some touched us more deeply than I ever imagined possible. Knowing full well at a deeply personal level the full force of grief through the loss of my father and my son, it now hits me harder than ever when people I care deeply for also walk that path through the "valley of shadows."
This past week two of my staff suffered deep losses - one, her father; the other, her son. Yesterday morning I entered deep intercession for Cassie, not even being fully aware of many details, just the full force of her loss and the loss of that entire family hit me spot on. And this was part of my prayers:
We were never meant to experience this shearing away of loved ones. We were never meant to experience death . . . it is a most unfortunate piece associated with the fall of mankind from the Garden. When GOD created us, He meant for us to live in that wonderful fullness of relationship in a perfect place on this earth with Him. We were never to know distance from Him, we were never to want, hurt, feel sadness or loss of any kind . . . never, never, never. We were never meant to experience sickness or pain, or anything negative. And the fact that we have hurts Him far more than it could ever hurt us. Really."
So....once again, I was off to a funeral. I have experienced many .... some real snoozers, some so very touching and some true celebrations of worship, praise and the person's life. This time it was a true celebration of Stephen's life and a time of true worship and praise. I was the cream in the oreo cookie....and I loved that! I have to hand it to some communities and cultures ..... they really have it going on. And they have maintained a dignity and closeness that the rest of us seem to have forgotten in this world gone mad. Every person who shared did so after honoring the house and the dignitaries and leadership there. They give honor to one another. And they share without restraint. The congregation does not sit by idly either . . . this is an interactive time of worship . . . during the speaking, during the music, during the prayers . . . and we all walked as one. That was a most honest and refreshing expression of grief and understanding of what's really going on in this world.
All glory and honor and praise to The King!

Sharoni
. . . giving voice to those with none . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment